What Will Travellers Be Looking For In 2018? | Results of the Virtuoso Luxe Report for 2018
Global luxury travel network Virtuoso® has determined 2018 will be the year for discovering less-visited destinations. The Virtuoso Luxe Report 2018, which forecasts what to expect in travel for the year ahead, shows the desire for unspoiled natural beauty continuing to motivate travelers. The annual report, which has firmly established Virtuoso as a recognized trend spotter, reveals consumer preferences in high- end and experiential travel, as discerned from a comprehensive survey of the network’s travel advisors worldwide.
Five must-take trips for 2018, according to Virtuoso advisors:
1. Cold is hot. Seasoned travelers in search of fresh destinations are setting their sights on chillier climes.
Iceland continues to surge in popularity, placing high in several Luxe Report categories this year. Cruisers are enthusiastic about Alaska, and adventurers about Antarctica and the Arctic. One trip of a lifetime mentioned by Virtuoso’s expert advisors: seeing the Northern Lights.
2. Exploring new destinations is the year’s top trip motivator, and travelers are embracing the opportunity to push beyond their comfort zone. Virtuoso advisors suggest that people check out at least one new place a year, and challenge themselves to try something unexpected during their sojourn: swim with marine life like dolphins or mantas, go zip-lining or ballooning, or take a helicopter tour.
3. Connecting with family through travel. After topping the list of trends since 2010, multigenerational travel has firmly established itself as a travel niche. Following close behind is travel with immediate family, also a consistent trend that will carry forward in 2018. Whether renting a European villa for a celebration with loved ones, cruising to the Galapagos Islands, or snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef, a family trip creates lifelong memories, strengthens bonds, and plays a pivotal role in childhood education.
4. Experience Africa. From culturally rich South Africa, also 2018’s top adventure destination, to the wilds of Botswana and Kenya, to the souks of Morocco, Africa is one of the world’s most diverse continents. Virtuoso’s advisors say a safari is an integral part of the African experience, particularly with wildlife preservation a priority for today’s sustainably savvy travelers.Africa is high on travellers lists with safaris a top adventurous pursuit
5. Be a traveler rather than a tourist. Immersive experiences not found in a guidebook or brochure, opportunities to meet locals, wandering neighborhoods and making spontaneous discoveries are the best ways to experience a destination, according to Virtuoso advisors. Whether it is wine tasting, or learning a traditional craft or a new language, travelers will be seeking out the true culture of that area they are visiting
The desire for experiences that foster genuine human connection is a key driver for today’s travelers. No activity is too unusual for the clients of Virtuoso travel advisors, as some of the more surprising requests show. Travelers are asking for everything from reaching the edge of space in a MiG-29 flight in Russia, to herding cattle in Australia, to hosting a celebration in a private capsule aboard the London Eye. They also seek rare accommodations such as an igloo in Norway, a private castle all to themselves, and sleeping under the stars in the desert – no tent required.
Top Travel Trends
Key findings from the 2018 Virtuoso Luxe Report: