New Zealand Luxury Lodges of the North Island
Arlette de Brey
Whilst most visitors to New Zealand focus on the South Island, there is much to love about the north!
I was fortunate recently to enjoy a repeat visit to the luxury lodges, Wharekauhau Lodge (near the very southern tip of the North Island and in the first photo above), The Farm at Cape Kidnappers (about half way up the east coast), Huka Lodge (near the centre of the island outside Taupo) and Tree Tops Lodge (near Rotorua). I also visited Lodge at Kinloch (near Huka Lodge and Taupo) and the Skycity Grand Hotel in Auckland.
Some of the highlights:
- The lodges themselves were a highlight – all were in stunning locations with amazing views, wonderful food, service and accommodation! All the lodges include breakfast, pre-dinner drinks and dinner in their rates (but don’t include wine with dinner).
- Helicopter scenic flights can be arranged throughout the North Island. I took a White Island Volcanic Helicopter Tour which was fascinating – we landed on the volcano’s crater, took a guided tour in and around the crater with our pilot guide, walking over the moon-like surface and peering inside one of the most active volcanoes on earth. Amazing!
- I loved the arrival transfer in Napier in a vintage car and visit to the Church Road Winery. The Art Deco festival is a also must in Napier if you are travelling in February. Tens of thousands of people enjoy the 1930’s atmosphere created in the heart of the city, giving you the feeling that you have travelled back in time to an era of glitz and glamour! There are around 125 events, including entertainment experiences, outdoor concerts, vintage car parades, fashion shows, dining experiences, great Gatsby picnics and so much more.
- The Farm at Cape Kidnappers and Huka Lodge are the more formal of the lodges and gentlemen are expected to wear a jacket at dinner time.
- The owners lodge (4 bedrooms) at The Farm at Cape Kidnappers is out of this world.
- The brand new Kinloch Lodge has self- contained accommodation and a great golf course. The views are wonderful as you can see in the last picture above…